Saturday, April 22, 2006

Damn South African internet!!

Hiya!

Bet you've all ben wondering where on earth we have been?? Well, we had some slight technical difficulties with dialing up over here... and so I wasnt able to go online for the past two days.

And typically, the two days were quite busy weren't they!?! Here's a summary of what went on...
On Wednesday I checked the post as I always do... just in case something important arrives from somewhere, or in case my lovely and "correspondent-ly" challenged husband decided to send me a postie... I found a big brown official looking envelope postmarked UNITED KINGDOM! OMG! I ran indoors, grabbed the phone and dialled Pete with one hand as I ripped the envelope open with the other... this HAD to be my Police Clearance... it just HAD to be... while still trying to get him on the phone I discovered that it was merely an acknowledgement of receipt from Ole Blighty... and that they now envisage the process to take the full 40 days due to backlog... they are saying 40 DAYS.... there is no mention of 40 WORKING days... but we are taking the safer option and assuming that they mean working only... the receipt is dated 4/4 so our countdown is correct so far....

Yesterday, I received the I-864 full and complete from Peter through DHL... I went through it all last night and am now confident that we have proven our case and that there should be no problems with our application. It just makes things even thougher for us as now the only thing we are waiting on is the damn Police Clearance from the UK... and then i can rush in to the Consulate and hand in our completed checklist and wait for them to set up my doctors appointment and interview... Waiting for just one small slip of paper can REALLY get you down... I just hope and pray that it all just comes together smoothly!

In other news, my personal posessions have finally cleared customs and are ready for collection. The final bill came to $684.53 which is ALOT of money.. but still a bit less than what we were originally quoted... the sad thing is that Peter is now working two jobs to be able to pay this, his rent, the internet bill for here and survive himself and stay in phonecards. He makes me soooo proud of him. He now works the day shift AND the night shift at the restaurant... it is TIRING work, he aches from being on his feet and legs all day... 14 hours of standing is no easy feat... and yet he hardly ever complains.. he is a real trooper... and as Bernice said... "He must really love you!" I think she's right.... I didnt think it was possible... but I think i love him even more than I originally did!!

I also want to say an extra special thanks to Eric and Elizette for dealing with the shipment of these things, and for organising the whole lot for me!! I know it was a difficult time for you both, what with moving yourselves... and I just wanted to let you know that I REALLY TRULY appreciate all your extra effort on my behalf!

We managed to find out where Elsinah is and what is wrong with her. She has pneumonia, gastro AND renal dysfunction.... She is not well at all and could really use some prayers....

Well guys, thats about it for today... dont forget that Monday marks day 29 of the countdown!! (for those who are counting down with us!)...

Speak to you all soon!
XXX Ros

No comments: